- Do your WaterBars remove microplastics recently featured in the news?
- How does a WaterBar compare to bottled water, filter jugs and tap water?
- What's the difference between a WaterBar and a water filter jug?
- What’s wrong with drinking tap water?
- How does Virgin Pure compare to buying bottled water?
Do your WaterBars remove microplastics recently featured in the news?
Our WaterBars remove all particles larger than 0.6 microns from the water. The plastic particles found in the recent tests at the State University of New York were larger than a human hair which is on average 75 microns across and so microplastics will be removed.
How does a WaterBar compare to bottled water, filter jugs and tap water?
WaterBar Water Jug Water Bottle Tap Chlorine Removed UV purified Dependent on brand Dispenses Boiling Drinking Water Dispenses Chilled Drinking Water Unlimited pure or filtered water without refilling and rebuying
Read more about how Virgin Pure WaterBars work here.
What's the difference between a WaterBar and a water filter jug?
Like a WaterBar, most filter jugs use a filter to remove substances like chlorine from tap water. Chlorine is added to water to prevent Bacteria breeding in water. However once the chlorine has been removed, water can become a breeding ground for bacteria.
That’s why our WaterBars have a UV lamp, to inactivate these microorganisms and prevent them from multiplying once the Chlorine has been removed from water. In fact our WaterBars kill 99.99999% of health- concern waterborne bacteria in water* Not to mention our WaterBar removes the need for re-filling jugs, taking up fridge space and needing a separate kettle.
* as proven by Israeli standard for domestic drinking water treatment appliance standard 1505 – using 4 groups/strains of water borne bacteria (E.coil, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, total coliform, fecal coliform, streptococcus groups count)
Find out more about how our WaterBars work here.
What’s wrong with drinking tap water?
We’re lucky in the UK. Our mains water supply is put through a stringent filtration process and must meet strict health and safety standards set by the World Health Organization.
But if you think your tap water tastes odd, don’t worry – you’re not going mad. Lots of people say tap water tastes, and smells, just a bit funny.
The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI), an independent government body set up to regulate the public water supply, says the odd taste is probably caused by the residual disinfectant Chlorine used to treat the water. Here’s what they say:
“one disadvantage of the use of chlorine is that it can result in customer complaints of unpleasant taste and odour, either from chlorine itself or from reaction of chlorine with other materials in, or in contact with, the water”
(Taken from the DRINKING WATER INSPECTORATE (DWI) CHLORINE TASTE & ODOUR CONTACTS AND CHLORINE LEVELS OR VARIABILITY FINAL REPORT February 2010 Page 1
Tap water can also pick up other tastes, depending factors like seasonality and your type of plumbing. Here’s what the DWI says:
Any one of the following could cause you to become aware of the taste or smell of your drinking water:
- the use of chlorine as a disinfectant;
- seasonal water quality effects;
- a change in where your water comes from or how it is treated;
- moving from one area to another;
- your plumbing.
What about seasonal changes?
About half of our drinking water comes from rivers and reservoirs. In summer, these waters sometimes develop a musty or earthy smell or taste due to natural processes in the environment. Water companies are required to treat the water to prevent earthy or musty tastes but occasionally, especially during exceptionally hot weather the treatment is not optimal. A common cause is the growth of algae in reservoirs. Further information can be found here.
How can my plumbing cause problems?
Water may pick up traces of substances from your plumbing and water fittings or appliances and this situation is the most common cause of unusual or strange tastes. For example:
- metallic, or bitter tastes from copper, iron or galvanised pipes;
- plastic tastes from plastic pipes, kettles, tap inserts or antisplash devices;
- rubbery or earthy tastes from tap washers;
- TCP/disinfectant type taste from reaction of chlorine with chemicals in rubber hoses, kettles or tap washers (see below);
- Musty or earthy tastes from stagnant or warm water in little used sections of plumbing;
- Salty or chemical tastes due to incorrectly functioning or installed softeners or treatment devices and filters.
(Taken from What do I do if my water has an objectionable smell or taste? DWI Last Updated January 2010 http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/tasteodour.pdf
Read more about Virgin Pure WaterBars here
How does Virgin Pure compare to buying bottled water?
Advice varies, but it’s generally accepted that you should be drinking around 2 litres of water a day.
A 1.5 litre of bottled water from a well-known brand currently costs around 52p. To drink 2 litres a day would cost 70p, or £20 a month. That’s £80 a month for a family of four. Compare this to purchasing a WaterBar for as little as £21.38 per month and the pure water is unlimited.
This is why our WaterBars help you and your family drink more pure water. The more you drink, the cheaper it gets. It’s not magic – it’s just maths!
And don’t forget bottled water needs valuable fridge space, it produces an unsustainable level of plastic waste and you’ll still need a separate kettle.
See our plans here.
Bottled Water Prices Source: MySuperMarket.co.uk prices taken RRP for 1.5 litres of bottled still water 3.8.17